Thursday, November 17, 2011

A First of its Kind

Living in Ecuadorian Amazon affords me many wonderful opportunities.  I am surrounded by breathtaking views, incredible biodiversity, friendly people, and I never need worry about being too cold.  When Ecuadorians ask me how I am enjoying my stay, I typically reply: I love it.  I learn something new everyday and have had an incredible experience.  One of those experiences has given me an interesting - potentially creepy - blog idea.

The Bug of the Week.  

I have had this idea for a few months, but was concerned that I might run out of new insects to photograph.  A quick Google search put my mind at ease.  Scientist have surveyed over a million insect species that call Ecuador home - and an unknown number pretended they were not at home and didn't answer the door.  Even if I just photographed a new butterfly living here in Ecuador every week, I could keep this blog going for 4,500 more weeks - about 86 years. 

The honorary recipient (or recipi-ant) for the first week of the bug of the week is this guy:    
       I think it got into my protein power. 

This giant ant got into my kitchen and was running all over my drying rack. 
Check out the video: 

(unfortunately my internet connection is so slow that I had to break the huge minute clip into two parts) 



I hope the new bug of the week post provides weeks of entertainment.   


Kind regards from Santa Clara, Ecuador. 
Joseph - and the giant ant that was not harmed in the making of this blog.   

1 comment:

  1. as always love reading your blogs miss ya see ya soon :} Joanne and happy turkey day

    ReplyDelete